In the Light of Setting Sun is a gritty, rules-light game set (loosely) in the wild american west of yore, with halftone art evoking spaghetti westerns. Blood soaks the sand in these parts, and every cowpoke or rider has a grim story that follows behind them like a shadow. This version of the wild west is mostly played straight: a historical setting with just a pinch of weirdness to spice things up.
Gameplay uses polyhedral dice and standard playing cards. The zine contains surprisingly comprehensive rules, including oracle tables for character backstories, rules for poisoning, rounding up posses, wilderness survival, and a sample hexcrawl adventure.
WITHIN THE 44 – PAGE RULEBOOK, YOU’LL FIND:
-Basics of the genre, and a warning against bigotry
– A fast-paced d20 system with three stats
– Randomized names, backgrounds, and loadouts for easy character creation
– Oracles that provide layers of complexity to player characters or NPCs
– A starting scenario and hexcrawl to set you on your path of mayhem!
- 44-page, half-letter, full-color saddle-stitch zine